January is, appropriately enough, National Soup Month. As a soup lover, I’m certainly game. Below are a few outstanding recipes from Swanson. The Corn and Red Pepper Chowder sounds like my kind of soup – served with a slice of warm, fresh from the oven bread…. that’s what I’m talking about!
Corn & Red Pepper Chowder Recipe
Prep: 20 minutes | Cook: 45 minutes | Makes: 6 servings (1 3/4 cups each)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large sweet onion, diced (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth (Regular, Natural GoodnessTM or Certified
2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, diced (about 2 cups)
2 cups fresh whole kernel corn or 1 package (about 10 ounces) frozen whole
1 jar (about 7 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1. Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it’s tender. Stir in the flour and garlic. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
2. Stir the broth and potatoes in the saucepan. Heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
3. Stir the corn and red pepper in the saucepan. Cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add the cream, if desired, and 1/4 cup of the basil. Season to taste. Divide the soup among 6 serving bowls. Sprinkle each serving of soup with the remaining basil.
Hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Prep: 10 minute | Cook: 30 minutes | Makes: 6 servings (1 1/2 cups per serving)
Vegetable cooking spray
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 pound)
3 1/2 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth (Regular, Natural GoodnessTM or Certified
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn with red and green peppers, drained
1 cup Pace® Chunky Salsa
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Crisp Tortilla Strips
1. Spray a 6-quart saucepot with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add the chicken to the saucepot. Cook until it’s browned, stirring often.
2. Stir the broth, cumin and rice in the saucepot. Heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
3. Stir the corn, salsa, cilantro and lime juice in the saucepot. Cook until the rice is tender. Top each serving of soup with Crisp Tortilla Strips.
Crisp Tortilla Strips: Heat the oven to 425°F. Cut 4 corn tortillas into thin strips and place them on a baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
Campbell’s Kitchen Tip: Use a pastry wheel when cutting the tortillas to create a special touch for the soup garnish.
Chicken & Tortellini Soup
Prep: 10 minutes | Cook: 35 minutes | Makes: 6 servings
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1 cup frozen sliced carrots
1 cup frozen cut green beans
3/4 cup chopped onion
8 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth
1 cup dried cheese-filled tortellini
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (OPTIONAL)
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 6-quart saucepot over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until it’s well browned, stirring often. Remove the chicken.
2. Add the remaining oil to the saucepot. Add the carrots, beans and onions. Cook over medium-heat until the vegetable are tender-crisp.
3. Stir in the broth. Heat to a boil. Add the tortellini and parsley, if desired. Cook for 10 minutes or until the tortellini is tender. Return the chicken to the saucepot and heat through.
Albondigas Soup Recipe
Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 7 hours | Makes: 6 servings (about 1 1/2 cups per serving)
4 cups Swanson® Beef Broth (Regular, 50% Less Sodium or Certified Organic)*
1 jar (11 ounces) Pace® Chunky Salsa
1 can (about 14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
3 tablespoons chopped
fresh cilantro leaves
1. Stir the broth, salsa, tomatoes, garlic, rice and Mexican Meatballs in a 6-quart slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours** or until the rice is tender and the meatballs are cooked through. Sprinkle with the cilantro before serving.
Mexican Meatballs: Mix thoroughly 1 pound of ground beef, 1 egg, 1/3 cup cornmeal, 1/3 cup water, 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce and 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves in a large bowl. Shape the beef mixture firmly into 24 meatballs. Add to the cooker as directed above.
*This recipe is also delicious with Swanson® Chicken Broth (Regular, Natural GoodnessTM or Certified Organic) instead of the beef broth.
**Or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
For more amazing Swanson recipes than you could ever hope for, see Campbell’s Kitchen Recipes. I go by their recipe box regularly and pluck out a new recipe to try. I’ve just always been drawn to the goodness of Campbell’s recipes and foods. It may sound overly poetic for a Tuesday, but they just taste like home. I know, I know, I should’ve saved that for a Friday.