This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click through and make a purchase, I earn a percentage. This costs you nothing extra, of course, but helps me support this food blog while allowing me to maintain the lifestyle my cats have become accustomed to!
I would say that I love soup especially during the fall and winter, but the funny thing is I love it year round. Sure I may make even more of it during the cold months, but that’s because my family looks at me oddly when I have homemade vegetable soup on the table in August.
A recent cookbook I was sent to review was, obviously, right up my alley: 300 Sensational Soups is packed with hearty, delicious soup recipes that’ll keep me deliriously entertained for years. As you might expect, I’ve already made several of the recipes and have been blown away each time.
Recipes in 300 Sensational Soups include:
- Meatball Soup
- Cold Avocado Soup
- Aztec Chili Soup
- Firehouse Chili Soup
- Three Mushroom Soup with Risotto Cakes
- Navy Bean and Ham Soup
- Asparagus, Ham and Gruyere Soup
- Nacho Cheese and Chicken Soup
- South of the Border Beef Soup
- Amish Beef and Noodle Soup
- Taco Soup
- Chicken and Cabbage Soup with Dumplings
- Farmhouse-Fresh Chicken Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Wedding Soup
- Egg Drop Soup
- Miso Soup
- Hot and Sour Soup
- And a lot more!
There are vegetarian soups, meal lovers’ soups, Asian soups, Italian soups, traditional favorites, chowders, cold soups, hot soups, and even dessert soups!
This paperback cookbook is only $16.47 on Amazon which is a ridiculously low price for so many great recipes. One of the recipes is below. It’s Texas Cowboy Soup and you’re going to freaking love it.
- 6 Slices Bacon, Chopped
- 1-1/2 lbs Lean Ground Beef
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 2 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Baking Potatoes, Peeled and Diced
- 2 Cans (each 14 – 19 oz) Pinto Beans, Drained and Rinsed
- 1 Can (14 oz) Diced Tomatoes with Green Chile Peppers, with Juice
- 4 Cups Beef Stock
- 1 Can (14 oz) Corn Kernels, Drained
- Cornbread Croutons (optional – recipe below)
- In a large post, saute’ bacon over medium heat until starting to brown. Add ground beef and saute’, breaking up with the back of a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, onion, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper; saute’ until onion starts to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add potatoes, beans, both cans of tomatoes. and stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are just tender, about 20 minutes. Add corn and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle into heated bowls and garnish with croutons.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- 9-inch square baking pan, greased and lined with parchment paper
- Baking Sheet
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 granulated sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
- In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg, milk, and oil. Add to the cornmeal mixture and stir just until blended. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Turn cooled cornbread out of pan and cut into 1-inch squares. Transfer to baking sheet and bake until dried and crispy, about 20 minutes. Let cool on sheet on a wire rack and use within 3 hours.
From the Back Cover:
The definitive collection of recipes for soup lovers everywhere.
A good soup nourishes the heart as well the stomach, spreading a feeling of satisfaction and contentment. Hot soup is warming on a winter day, while cold soup is just as welcome in the heat of summer.
From comforting creamy chicken and rice soup to refreshing gazpacho, 300 Sensational Soups offers something for every season, mood and occasion. There are 50 international soups, including Vietnamese pho, Italian wedding soup, and Middle Eastern harira. Soups from the sea include such favorites as snapper in Asian broth with habañero and shrimp, and shrimp and pea soup with lemongrass. Each recipe also includes tips and techniques along with garnishing ideas. As well, there are many creative variations and serving suggestions.
There is also the Just (Soup) Desserts chapter, which features 20 dessert soups, including coconut soup with mango fritters, chocolate soup with brownie croutons, and chilled cherry soup with crème anglaise swirl.
With 300 recipes to choose from, ranging from everyday fare to elegant dishes for entertaining, 300 Sensational Soups offers home chefs a perfect bowl of soup every time.
See 300 Sensational Soups for more information and to order your own copy!