The recipe below is just in time for one of the most delicious seasons I know… grilling season! This Bacon Tomato Jam would be just as memorable on hot dogs as it is on hamburgers.
My mouth is literally watering. I SO know what’s for supper.
Bacon Tomato Jam
1/3 pound of raw bacon diced into small pieces
2-1/2 cups ripe tomatoes -diced small (about 5 medium tomatoes)
1/2 large vidalia onion – diced small
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon LoSalt (or more..taste it)
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1. Cook the bacon in a deep skillet or medium saucepan until it is crispy and brown. Using a slotted spoon remove the bacon, drain it on paper towels and set it aside. Reserve about 1½ tablespoons of the bacon fat in the pan.
2. Put the pan with the bacon fat on low-medium heat on the stove. Add the onion, tomatoes, brown sugar, vinegar, LoSalt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring often.
3. Add the bacon back to the pan with the tomato mixture.
4. Simmer stirring with a wooden spoon pretty frequently (making sure it doesnt burn) until it starts to thicken and the onions get soft and caramelized. You will cook it for about 30 to 40 minutes or until most of the water evaporates and you are left with a thick jammy texture.
5. Put in mason jars or a bowl and refrigerate.