Healthy Way to Kick Off National Sandwich Month
I try to feed my family as much tuna as possible. We’re all aware of the super powers of Omega 3s and tuna is loaded with this heart healthy magic. I’m always looking for fresh ways to bring tuna to the party, though I have to admit, I personally never tire of traditional tuna fish salad sandwiches.
August is actually National Sandwich Month, so it’s a perfect time to try out new sandwich recipes. The one shown here, Tuscan Tuna Sandwich, is a delicious place to start.
- 1 can OR pouch (6 to 7 ounces) tuna, packed in water
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained1 teaspoon Spice Islands Dill Weed
- ¼ teaspoon Spice Islands Garlic Powder
- 3 ounces fresh baby salad greens
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 8 slices Italian style bread, grilled or toasted
- Place tuna, capers, dill weed and garlic powder in a mixing bowl; stir to combine.
- Add greens and vinaigrette; toss gently.
- Divide tuna mixture evenly on 4 slices of bread; top with remaining slices. Serve immediately.
Spice Islands spices can be found in your local store. The ones used in this recipe are Spice Islands Garlic Powder and Spice Islands Dill Weed (once you use dill in your tuna sandwiches, you’ll kick yourself for not using it sooner – I love it on deviled eggs, too).
To turn your tuna sandwich into a heart healthy meal, serve one or more of the followings on the side:
- Apple Slices
- Celery and Carrot Sticks
- Tomato Soup
- Sliced Tomatoes
- Bean Salad
- Dried Fruit
You get the idea… something smarter than potato chips or fries!