Chocolate Pot de Crème with Vanilla Whipped Topping
4 oz 61% cocoa bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 cups organic heavy cream, divided
1/4 cup white blond cane sugar
2 organic egg yolks
1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place a kettle filled with water on the stove over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Place the chocolate in a large metal bowl.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups of the heavy cream with the sugar in a small saucepan. Place over medium heat on the stove and whisk until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the hot cream mixture over the chocolate in a melt bowl and stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly temper the eggs by adding a touch of the warm chocolate mixture at a time, about 1/8 cup. Continue to do this until the entire chocolate mixture has been added to the yolks.
- Place four 6-oz ramekins in a large baking or casserole dish. Pour the chocolate mixture evenly into the four ramekins.
- Using the water from the kettle, fill the baking dish so the water comes halfway up the ramekins.
- Carefully place the baking dish into the oven and bake for 30 minutes. When done, the pot de crèmes will slightly jiggle. Using an oven mitt, remove the ramekins from the water bath and let cool on a cooling rack.
- After cooling to room temperature, transfer the ramekins to the refrigerator and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. (These can be made a few days ahead of time and just left in the fridge, covered with plastic wrap.)
When ready to serve, whisk the remaining heavy cream and vanilla extract in a small bowl until film peaks form. Place a dollop over each of the pot de crèmes and serve.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Spice Islands.