Spice Islands has just released two new Sea Salts: All-Natural Fine Mediterranean Sea Salt and All-Natural Coarse Mediterranean Sea Salt. I’m thrilled to see the All-Natural Fine Mediterranean Sea Salt. The problem with sea salt has always been that it’s sometimes temperamental in recipes… too chunky! The new All-Natural Fine Mediterranean Sea Salt is the answer to baker’s prayers and I can’t wait to stock up on it. It’s used in the brownies recipe below and my mouth is watering.
I also LOVE that the recipe calls for two of my favorite things in the whole world: Chocolate and Cream Cheese. I even have special categories on my food blog for cream cheese recipes and chocolate recipes. I’ve had a lifelong passion for each, and when they team up, it’s nothing short of culinary magic.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Brownies
8 Tablespoons unsalted butter
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon ARGO® baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Spice Islands® All-Natural Fine Mediterranean Sea Salt
1 1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
3 large eggs
8 oz. cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9-inch square baking pan by buttering the bottom and then using two pieces of parchment paper crisscrossed over the bottom and up over the sides.
- Chop the semi-sweet chocolate into small chunks. Reserve 1/4 cup to sprinkle over the top of the brownies. In a double boiler, melt the butter and the chocolate over simmering water.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Use a whisk to combine the dry ingredients well.
- When the butter and chocolate are melted, remove them from heat and stir in the sugar.
- Lightly beat 2 eggs in a bowl, and then mix them into the bowl along with the vanilla extract.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients using a rubber spatula or spoon mixing just until incorporated. Do not over mix or use an electric mixer!
- To prepare the cream cheese mixture, mix softened cream cheese with 1/3 cup sugar. Add the egg and mix well.
- Put dollops of brownie mixture in the pan and follow with spoonfuls of cream cheese mixture. Use a knife, moving it back and forth to swirl the two mixtures.
- Sprinkle reserved chocolate pieces on top.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs. It should not be dry.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Use the overhanging parchment paper to remove the brownies and let cool completely before cutting.
- Run a large knife under hot water and cut brownies into 16-inch squares