Plus a Great Salt Block Grilling Cookbook by Mark Bitterman
I bought my husband the Himalayan Salt Block pictured for Father’s Day (along with Salt Block Grilling: 70 Recipes for Outdoor Cooking with Himalayan Salt Blocks by Mark Bitterman). He’s a huge fan of grilling and we’re both huge fans of Himalayan salt and great food, so it seemed like a can’t miss gift – and it’s proven to be just that.
Features of the VOLTAS Himalayan Salt Block:
- 100% Pure Himalayan Salt block imparts a naturally rich and delicious flavor to food.
- Thick Himalayan Salt Plate has beveled edges to reduce chipping and it comes with Stainless steel Salt Plate Holder, and a very handy cotton tote for safe storage.
- Use for Grilling, Searing and Cooking Meat, Fish and Vegetables. Use Directly on Grill or Stove Top.
- Unique (and highly attractive!) way to cook, serve and display food & appetizers when serving guests.
- The stainless steel holder extends the life of the salt rock plate while allowing for easy handling.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED. VOLTAS Will replace the block or refund your money if you have any concerns.
VOLTAS Himalayan Salt Block
Gourmet Cooking & Beautiful Food Presentation
The pink Himalayan salt block has a deep history and evidence surrounding its many benefits. Millions of years ago, a sea bed crystallized and was covered with a layer of lava. As snow and earth accumulated, what we now know as the Himalayas formed. The salt from this deposit is considered the purest salt ever found because it has been untouched by any pollutants. The benefits of using this salt slab are endless. Himalayan salt crystals contain almost a 100 natural minerals, more than any salt in the world. It contains less sodium and has been attributed to countless health benefits.
With naturally low moisture contents, the plate can be heated or chilled to extreme temperatures. The VOLTAS stainless steel salt plate holder eliminates excess pressure to any one area of your plate, while protecting fragile edges and extending the salt plate’s life. As your salt plate begins to wear down, you can use the holder as a frame to hold together the pieces of salt.
Transform your backyard parties with this stylish grilling masterpiece or impress your guests by using it as a contemporary serving piece. Cooking food with the salt plate on stove-top or BBQ grill enhances your culinary skills. This block takes “slow cook” to whole new level by naturally seasoning your food and conducting heat by spreading pressure evenly over the slab.
Directions and Maintenance:
- On a stovetop slowly increase the heat over time as the salt plate retains and conducts heat and spreads pressure evenly. Once it has reached the desired temperature, you can add anything on it that you’d like to cook or you can even remove the slab and cook without the flame.
- The same can be done on a BBQ grill by keeping the lid closed during heating.
- Because it’s anti-microbial, the salt plate is very easy to clean. Just wipe it with a damp paper towel and then pat it dry.
I did quite a bit of research and reading before deciding which Himalayan Salt Block to order for my personal grill chef. I loved the fact that this particular Himalayan Salt Block came with its own steel rack AND storage tote. The size was as big as any I’d come across and it received better reviews than others I’d looked at – always a great sign.
Not surprisingly, the first thing he wanted to fix on the block were burgers (he could give Popeye’s buddy Wimpy a run for his money) and asparagus (his favorite vegetable). He cooked some burgers and asparagus on another part of the grill (for comparison’s sake) and the juiciness of the burgers were BEYOND noticeable. In fact, “JUICY,” was the first thing out of our mouths – when they weren’t full, of course – our mothers taught us manners, after all. They were delectable and juicier than any burger I think I’ve ever had.
As for the asparagus, if all asparagus tasted as great as these did, it’d be more people’s favorite vegetable. Before putting them on the block, I lightly oiled them with EVOO and seasoned them with pepper and garlic powder – I trusted the block to take care of the salt factor.
They were just fantastic – flavorful with the perfect amount of crispiness. Wilty, overcooked asparagus is depressing and these were nowhere near that.
Himalayan Salt Blocks are PERFECT for:
- Burgers (Juicy burgers, that is)
I think the cast of characters for a fajita – skirt steak sliced bell peppers, mushrooms and onions – would be out of this world too. The possibilities are endless.
Since grilling on a Himalayan Salt Block was a whole new ballgame for my husband, I thought that a great cookbook to accompany the gift would be in excellent taste (see what I did there?). Salt Block Grilling: 70 Recipes for Outdoor Cooking with Himalayan Salt Blocks by Mark Bitterman proved to be a perfect companion. It’s full of ideas, recipes, and tips – everything a new salt block griller needs to know to have the confidence and swagger to work their salt block magic.
Salt Block Grilling: 70 Recipes for Outdoor Cooking with Himalayan Salt Blocks
Book Description: Over 70 all new recipes for grilling traditional and nontraditional dishes on a Himalayan salt block from salt expert and best-selling author of Salt Block Cooking, Mark Bitterman.
Everyone who loves the excitement and pleasure of discovering new cooking techniques will enjoy this guide to grilling and entertaining with salt blocks. The introduction is your salt block owner’s manual, with everything you need to know to purchase, use, and maintain salt blocks with confidence. The six chapters that follow are divided into over 70 recipes organized by key ingredients: Meat, Seafood, Poultry, Vegetables and Fruit, Dairy, and Doughs. You’ll find recipes for Salt Seared Smoked Pork Belly, Lamb Satay with Mint Chutney and Spicy Peanut Crumble, Salt Seared Tuna Nicoise Salad, Hot Salted Edamame with Sesame, Shiso, and Szechuan Pepper, and Salty, Smoky Walnut-Chocolate Chunk Cookies.
Bitterman is the foremost salt block expert and one of the largest importers and retail distributors of salt blocks.The precious pink mineral mined from ancient hills in Pakistan’s Punjab province has arrived on the American cooking scene as an exciting and enticing new form of grilling. Himalayan salt blocks are available at specialty retail stores around the world and the market is growing.
Information and Recipes Include:
- Essential Tools
- Care and Handling
- Heating Step by Step and Heating 101
- Cleaning and Storage
- Sandwich Steak with Peppers Onions and Aged Provolone
- Short Rib Tacos
- Roasted Chicken Stuffed with Hot Salt Rocks and Fresh Herbs
- Salt-Barbecued Scallops with Habanero Sprinkle
- Salt-Block Grilled Vegetables
- Hot Salted Edamame with Sesame, Shiso, and Sichuan Pepper
- Blistered Baby Peppers
- Pizza on a Salt Block
- Salty-Smoky Walnut Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Plus a lot more delicious recipes – like all cookbooks, there are a few you’ll never make (I’m looking at you baby octopuses and you know it) but all will intrigue you and inspire you. The process and food combinations are exceptional and it’s a must have book if this is your first time grilling with a salt block.
- Read more about the VOLTAS
- Himalayan Salt Block.Check out Salt Block Grilling: 70 Recipes for Outdoor Cooking with Himalayan Salt Blocks.