National Waffle Day is celebrated on August 24th because on August 24, 1968, the first U.S. waffle iron was patented to Cornelius Swarthout. Of course, waffles are so delicious to eat and fun to make, who needs a national day to appreciate them?
Waffles are beautifully versatile, too. Naturally they’re enjoyed most frequently as one of the best breakfasts known to mankind. However, never underestimate a waffle for dessert – add a little chocolate chips, ice cream, and whipped topping and BAM… Paradise in a bowl.
Some of the best waffle irons on the market are made by KRUPS. They’re sitting on a wealth of knowledge when it comes to waffles, and they’re cool enough to share their tips and recipes with the rest of us. They’re cool like that.
- Read the instruction manual! (at least give it a quick glance J )
- Heat your waffle iron for at least 10 minutes before pouring the batter in, or your waffles will not rise properly and you will have heavy and flat waffles.
- Take it easy! Don’t mix the batter too quickly or vigorously. Use a slow, even tempo to get the right consistency, or your waffles will be tough and chewy.
- No peeking! We know you’re hungry. But your patience will be reward. Don’t lift the lid too early or you will let out the steam.
- Always finding yourself in sticky situations? Do not use cooking spray on your waffle iron. Instead, use a vegetable oil. Just take a basting brush or a paper towel and cover the surface lightly with oil. Your waffle iron will last much longer, and, in the end, you will have fewer problems with sticking. It also helps to produces a better crust on the waffle.
|KRUPS Signature Waffles||
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat KRUPS F654 Waffle Iron.
- Beat eggs in large bowl with hand beater until fluffy.
- Beat in flour, milk, vegetable oil, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla, just until smooth.
- Brush oil on preheated waffle iron.
- Pour mix onto hot waffle iron.
- Cook until golden brown.
- Serve hot!
Pictured at the top is the KRUPS 654-75 WaffleChef 4-Slice Belgian Waffle Maker with non stick plates LED indicators, Stainless Steel.
- Waffle maker makes four thick Belgian waffles in four minutes
- 1,400 watts; measures 4-1/2 inches high by 10-1/4 inches wide and 13 inches deep
- Nonstick plates make cleanup easy
- Thermo-insulated handle stays cool
Gifts for Waffle Lovers!