All cooks have their favorite, “go to” ingredients – many of us actually share a lot of the same faves:
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Kosher salt
- cayenne pepper
- garlic powder
- vanilla extract
Then there are those of us who have our own unique favorites that we wouldn’t dream of EVER running low on, let alone out of.
In addition to those above, a few of mine are:
- Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
- orange marmalade
Yes, sweetened condensed milk and yes, it must be Eagle Brand. It’s simply better, period.
I use sweetened condensed milk in so many different ways, a good 3 cans has to be in the pantry at all times. If it got under 2, I’m pretty sure a culinary nervous breakdown wouldn’t be far away.
Three of the ways I use Eagle Brand the most are…
- I add a can to cake mix batter – it makes the cake more moist and (as you’d expect) richer. Gluten-free cakes tend to dry out sooner than other cakes and Eagle Brand keeps this from happening. Magic!
- I also use Eagle Brand often… make that OFTEN… when making “Coffeehouse” type fraps and lattes. There isn’t any need to add sugar, obviously. Just combine the sweetened condensed milk and coffee (hot or iced) in a blender and you’re set.
- Eagle Brand makes the best pies of all time, including my personal favorite Sweet Potato Pie recipe. Trust me, save this one for Autumn. You’ll want it for Thanksgiving as well as the days leading up to it!
This summer I came up with another favorite way to put this particular favorite ingredient to use – Frozen Latte Pops. Again, as is the case with anything you make with Eagle Brand, it couldn’t be simpler.
I pour iced coffee and Eagle Brand into frozen Popsicle molds and freeze them until solid. It doesn’t get any easier than that, right? Sometimes I add a splash of Vanilla Syrup along with the “magic” and coffee, but it isn’t necessary.
These pops taste Heavenly and I get a giddy kick out of the white stripe at the bottom. That white stripe is pure deliciousness.
If you don’t have Popsicle molds, fill an ice cube tray up with the combination and freeze. When solid, crush the yumminess up with a spoon and…. well, you know what to do at this point.
For wonderful Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk Recipes, visit their website.