Peter Pan Peanut Butter is the latest threat for Salmonella. It seems like there’s always something, doesn’t it? Not long ago it was Spinach and Taco Bell.
As luck would have it, Peter Pan’s the brand I’ve always bought! I had two containers in my pantry I threw out yesterday – although if they’d been contaminated, we’d have surely known by now. Be that as it may, they lost their appeal, so out they went!
U.S. health officials have not yet determined the precise source of the contaminated peanut butter. But it’s believed to have caused almost 300 people in 39 states to get sick with Salmonella food poisoning, which causes diarrhea, fever, dehydration, abdominal pain, vomiting, and sometimes even death.
In addition to the Peter Pan brand, some batches of Wal-Mart’s Great Value brand Peanut Butter were also contaminated.
Jars of peanut butter that have the product code 2111 should be discarded. Both of my jars had this very code. The code indicates the plant where the spread was produced, and is usually found stamped on top of the lid.
Experts say that it’s likely that the contamination resulted from dirty equipment, since peanuts are brought to a high, germ-destroying temperature during production. The only other known incident of peanut butter linked to Salmonella occurred in Australia and was connected to unsanitary conditions.
All jars of Peter Pan peanut butter manufactured from May 2006 to the present have been recalled.
Most persons infected with Salmonella develop diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps 12 to 72 hours after infection, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The illness usually lasts four to seven days. Most people recover without treatment, but in some cases, the diarrhea may be so severe that the patient needs to be hospitalized.
The elderly, infants, and those with impaired immune systems are more likely to have a severe illness.