This Month's ALL You is One Spicy Issue!
The colorful, short video above (exploding spices set to classical music) just might be the most relaxing thing you do all week.
I’m sure I’ve already ‘fessed up to all of you that I have a bit of a magazine fixation. It started when I was a teenager with Tiger Beat, Seventeen, Teen, etc. The obsession has carried right through to today. The magazines have changed but the bliss I experience when stores put out new magazines is the same.
One of my favorite magazines is All You. It bills itself as “The magazine that pays for itself” because each issue is PACKED with coupons – and coupons you’ll actually use, at that. Personally, I think it should bill itself as “The magazine that pays for itself… and then some” because, each month, the money the coupons save me total up to a higher price than I paid for the magazine. So, basically, I’m being paid to enjoy fantastic recipes, health and cooking-related articles, crafts, and puzzles that my brain absolutely loves.
For example, in the recent issue (January 17, 2014), I used the coupons in the magazine to save over $7.00 on groceries and the magazine cost just $2.99.
With all this raving, I guess it’d be a good time to point out that this is not at all a sponsored post or even a review. Basically, I’m just jumping off into the actual post. I just happen to enjoy shining the spotlight on people who are doing things the right way.
In the issue I just mentioned, there was an outstanding section called “The Ultimate Guide to Spices.” In case you missed the issue (I’ll forgive you this time, but don’t let it happen again.), I thought I’d hit on a few of the highlights.
The first thing I thought I’d share is a “Mix it Up” recipe the magazine gives for making your own All Purpose Seasoned Salt. It’s extraordinary.
All Purpose Seasoned Salt
1 Tbsp. Salt
2 Tbsp. Onion Powder
2 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
2 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
1 Tbsp. Hot Paprika
Combine in a small glass bottle with a top and use with just about anything. It’s especially good on hamburgers, Boca Burgers, baked potatoes, fries, beans, and chicken.
Another favorite part of the article involved the health benefits of popular spices. These health “boosts” are just another reason to add a little more spice to your meals.
Health Benefits of Favorite Spices
- Aids digestion.
- Might help accelerate metabolism.
- Nutrients: Fiber, Vitamin K, Manganese
- Lowers risk of colon, rectal, and stomach cancer.
- Might reduce blood pressure.
- Might reduce hardening of the arteries.
- Nutrients: Fiber, Vitamin B-6
- Aids Digestion
- Might help decrease insulin resistance
- Nutrients: Fiber, Calcium, Manganese
- Aids Digestion
- Might boost metabolism and immunity.
- Might help prevent stomach ulcers.
- Nutrients: Fiber, Iron, Vitamins A, C, E, K, and B-6
- Promotes Healthy Vision
- Might help fight age-related vision problems
- Might help fight cardiovascular disease and arthritis
- Nutrients: Fiber, Iron, Potassium, Vitamins A, C, E, K, and B-6
The article made me think more about spices, spice containers, spice racks, grinders, etc. While I have a pretty good number of small spice jars w/lids, I’m definitely in the market for a great pepper grinder and salt box. Below are a few of the lovelies that have caught my eye on Amazon.
- Pivoting three-section storage box holds sea salt, spices and more
- Made of laminated strips of bamboo, a renewable resource
- Designed with weighted base for better balance when open
- Keep multiple salts or other seasonings near the stove and ready to use when cooking or baking
- By Totally Bamboo – totally good for the environment and totally good for you
- Ceramic grinding mechanism stays sharp
- Adjustable from fine to coarse
- Ratchet design is easy for all users
- Ideal for sea salt, peppercorns, spices, including flax seed
- Easy to fill
- Available in blue, white, red, lime green, and purple
Don’t forget to go back to the top and watch the exploding spices. Maybe it’s because it’s a Monday, but I could watch this relaxing little video all day.