If you’re looking for healthy Cinco de Mayo recipes – or just delicious, healthy Mexican-inspired recipes, you’ll love the following recipe for Shrimp Chimichanga. It’s from Dos Pistolas Salsa, the all-natural, preservatives free gourmet salsa from The Santoscoy Food Group.
As recent statistics have shown, 78% of Americans are not meeting their basic nutritional needs. With Dos Pistolas Salsa being the first salsa product in the U.S. that carries the American Heart Association’s heart-check, this gluten, preservative, and additive free salsa is both good for your health and heart- so you can feel less guilty when celebrating this Thursday.
Bookmark the recipe because I know you’ll use it many times throughout the year. Personally, I can’t get enough when it comes to shrimp and shrimp recipes – it’s always been a particular favorite. It’s a bit of an obsession, I guess, but one that I don’t mind in the least!
(Total cook and prep time: 30-45 minutes)
12 Large divined shrimp (tails off)
3 Garlic cloves
4 Tablespoons of butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 Cups of Brown Rice
4 Cup of Water
1 Medium White Peeled Onion
2 Green Onions
1 Medium Bell Pepper Green
1 Medium Bell Pepper Red
1 Small 12 oz can of whole kernel yellow corn (drained)
1 Small 12 oz can of black beans (drained)
4 Large 12 inch Gluten Free Flour Tortillas
1 Half Pint of Heavy Cream
2 Green Onions
1 jar (16 oz) Dos Pistolas All- Natural Gourmet Salsa
1 container (12 oz) of Sour Cream
Step One Prepare Shrimp:
- In a medium saucepan on medium heat melt (2) tablespoons of butter
- Sauté (12) thawed and cleaned shrimp in butter
- Add (1) chopped garlic clove
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook for approximately 10 minutes or until shrimp are a light pink and tender to touch
- Remove from pan and set aside in glass dish
Step Two Prepare Brown Rice:
- In a medium quart size pan add (4) cups of water and (2) cups of rice.
- Turn up to high heat to bring to rolling boil
- Upon boiling, add top and reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes. (Check often until rice is light, fluffy, and tender)
- Prepare the following ingredients: Fine chop onions, red and green bell peppers, and one garlic clove. Set aside
- In a sauté pan, using a (1) tablespoon of butter combine the following chopped onion, red and green bell peppers, and one chopped garlic clove
- Cook in pan until tender to touch (using small wooden fork
- Combine Mixture to brown rice and stir in corn and black beans, continue to fluff mixture to combine all flavors.
Step Three Making Chimichanga:
- In a deep frying pan add (2) inches of vegetable oil heating to 350 degrees F.
- While oil is being heated, on a non stick griddle warm the flour tortillas to soften.
- Immediately remove warm tortillas and on a non stick glass plate add following to tortilla:
1) One cup of brown rice mixture, using ladle.
2) Add (4) shrimp
3) Fold the sides of tortilla to form a closed packet. Using toothpicks or wood skewers to hold close
(Repeat process until all (4) Chimichanga are formed.
4) Deep fry Chimichanga until golden brown. Remove and drain oil. Place cooked chimichanga in warming tray and place in oven on warm.
- Remove skewers or toothpicks before serving
Step Four Dos Pistolas All-Natural Gourmet Sauce:
- In clean skillet melt remaining (1) tablespoon of butter
- Sauté one chopped green onion and remaining chopped garlic clove
- Add to mixture (1) half pint of heavy cream on medium heat until thickens
- Add to mixture 8 oz of Dos Pistolas All-Natural Gourmet Salsa, Simmer on low for 5 minutes, stir often to prevent sticking.
- Remove mixture and allow to cool. Remove Chimichanga from oven and place on plates.
- Cut Chimichanga in a diagonal cut. Ladle mixture onto cut Chimichanga. Garnish with sliced avocado, sour cream, and remaining green onions.
Dos Pistolas Salsa is an all-natural, gourmet salsa from The Santoscoy Food Group. Made from an age old recipe passed down through three generations of family, co-founder Sandra Sherer created the salsa in order to bring the traditional flavor of El Paso, Texas first to Colorado, and now, nation-wide.
Dos Pistolas Salsa is the first salsa product in the U.S. that carries the American Heart Association’s heart-check, making this gluten and preservative free salsa good for your health and heart.
Products include Dos Pistolas Green Chili Salsa and Mango-Jalapeño Salsa. Since 2001, the Santoscoy Food Group has been satisfying the needs and stomachs of customers craving a real gourmet salsa with home-cooked flavor and quality. Additional information on Dos Pistolas and its products can be obtained from its website at www.dospistolas.moonfruit.com.