How to Make Sugared Almonds
1 Egg White
2 tsp water
2 cups almonds (or nuts of your choice – sugared pecans are ahhh-mazing)
1/2 cup sugar PLUS 1/3 cup sugar
Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. For best results, cut a sheet of parchment paper to fit your cookie sheet and spray with cooking spray.
Mix the egg white and water, then bathe the almonds in the mixture until they’re all coated. Add 1/2 cup sugar and mix well.
Spread the sugary almonds onto the parchment paper-lined pan and sprinkle them with the remaining 1/3 cup sugar.
Bake for 10 minutes.
Stir the almonds and return them to the oven. For this last 7-8 minutes, you don’t want to even think about leaving the kitchen. Park it beside the oven and keep an eye on these guys. Usually, they’ll need to cook for another 7-8 minutes, but you want to make certain they don’t over cook. Given half a chance, they’ll burn. You’re going for a golden brown appearance, but if you aren’t careful, they’ll turn too dark in what feels like seconds.
If they need to go longer than 8 minutes, again, keep your eyes on them like an over-protective mother. Fortunately, I’ve always been one of those creatures, so I’ve mastered and perfected the routine.
Remove the pan from the oven and lift the parchment paper from the pan and place on a cooling rack. Give the nuts no free reign – left to rest and relax on the cookie sheet, they will see it as their chance to burn.
A Few Nutty Thoughts:
- If you’re nuts for nuts, like we are, buy them online at Oh Nuts. In a word, they’re simply perfection.
- Almonds are excellent prepared this way but pecans are easily just as good. They’re not quite as crunchy, so they’d be a great choice for those who are a little older or who have sensitive teeth.
- How did we ever survive without parchment paper? OK, so that has nothing to do with nuts, but does beg to be asked. It makes clean-up a breeze and makes your pans last a lot longer.
- Sugared Nuts are great snacks during ballgames, favorite TV shows, or just any time you want a snack. They’re extra pretty during the holidays.
- These would make wonderful gifts! Put them in a pretty jar with a lid, tie with a festive ribbon, and there you go.
- Sugared nuts are great on ice cream, brownies, and as cake toppings.