1 pound breakfast sausage
1 cup chopped button mushrooms, stems removed and cleaned
1 cup chopped green onions
3/4 cup seeded and diced roma tomatoes
3 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
8 large eggs, well beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper
Nonstick cooking spray
Extra chopped roma tomatoes for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. In a large heavy nonstick skillet, over medium heat, cook sausage, breaking sausage into small pieces. Cook until no
longer pink. Remove from skillet and drain sausage on clean paper towels.
3. Drain all but 1/2 to1 teaspoon pan drippings from skillet. Sauté mushrooms and onions in skillet just until vegetables are soft. Allow to cool slightly.
4. Spray an 11×7-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer sausage, mushrooms, onions, tomato and basil into dish.
5. In a mixing bowl, whip together eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over sausage mixture but do not stir together.
6. Bake, uncovered, in a preheated oven for 22-25 minutes or until eggs are set. Cool for 5 minutes.
7. Sprinkle additional chopped tomatoes on top.
Yield: 8 Servings
For more information and to download free brochures and more recipes, visit www.hot-dog.org.