Campbell’s Green Bean Casserole Recipe: A Delicious Holiday Tradition
Prep: 10 minutes|Bake: 30 minutes | Makes: 12 servings
2 cans (10 3/4 ounces each) Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (Regular, 98% Fat Free or Healthy Request®)
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 cups cooked cut green beans
2 2/3 cups French’s® French Fried Onions
1. Stir the soup, milk, soy sauce, black pepper, beans and 1 1/3 cups onions in 3-quart casserole.
2. Bake at 350°F. for 25 minutes or until the bean mixture is hot and bubbling. Stir the bean mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining onions.
3. Bake 5 minutes or until the onions are golden brown.
TIP: Use any of the following – 2 bags (16 to 20 ounces) frozen green beans, 4 packages (9 ounces each) frozen green beans, 4 cans (about 16 ounces each) green beans or about 3 pounds fresh green beans for this recipe.
- For added crunch, add ½ cup sliced almonds to the onion topping.
- For bacon lovers, add 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled, to the bean mixture.
- For a festive touch, stir in 1/2 cup chopped red pepper with soup.
- For cheese lovers, stir in 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese with soup. Omit soy sauce. Sprinkle with an additional 1/2 cup additional Cheddar cheese when adding the remaining onions.
- For Golden Green Bean Casserole, substitute Campbell’s Condensed Golden Mushroom soup for Cream of Mushroom soup. Omit soy sauce. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped red pepper with the green beans.
I LOVE Holiday traditions. My family can certainly attest to that. There are certain things we eat each Thanksgiving, each Easter, each Christmas, New Years, etc. On Thanksgiving morning, for example, I make delicious cream puff pastries. New Year’s Day always means a new soup recipe and our traditional New Year’s Punch. Every holiday meal features a family favorite: Campbell’s Green Bean Casserole. I was trying to think how long I’ve been enjoying this remarkable casserole and, guess what, I can’t remember ever NOT having it at Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter. Even before I was old enough to cook, my mother and grandmothers fixed it.
We all look forward to this casserole each holiday. We certainly aren’t the only ones who love Campbell’s® Green Bean Casserole with a passion. In fact, after 54 years it has not only become synonymous with the Christmas season, it is expected to be part of the holiday meal on nearly 30 million tables across the U.S.
The traditional Green Bean Casserole recipe includes a creamy, crunchy combination of green beans, Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup and French’s® French Fried Onions. Over the years, holiday hosts have added their own custom touches, including garlic, red pepper, hot sauce, bacon, almonds or cheese. No matter how you choose to serve it, this is one side that generates rave reviews each and every time.
And Cream of Mushroom soup is not just for Green Bean Casserole! This year, Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup has reached a true milestone – 75 years of helping America’s cooks create memorable meals. This versatile ingredient can also help transform holiday leftovers. Two easy recipes to try are Turkey & Stuffing Casserole and Turkey & Broccoli Alfredo. For these and other great tasting recipes, visit www.CampbellsKitchen.com.