Here’s the scenario: You grab your platter, your tongs, your spatula, and (most importantly) your food. Then you head out the back door. Your grill sees you coming and starts to get excited. It’s that time of year again! Only it doesn’t realize that you’re about to knock its wheels off. You don’t just have hamburgers and pink hued hot dogs tonight – oh no, you have Hillshire Farm’s new Hot & Spicy Italian Style Smoked Sausages and that grill isn’t going to know what hit it.
I just tried them this past week and they blew me straight away. There is so much fiery flavor packed into these bun-length sausages that I nearly wept when the last one was eaten.
These sausages are superb when grilled and served on a heated bun. I promise you, they don’t even need ketchup or mustard. I’m sure that mustard and onions would be Heavenly on them, but my preference is simply the sausage and a heated bun.
Below is a recipe from Hillshire Farm’s website for nights when you’re feeling snazzy. You are going to love these sausages. My youngest daughter zaps them in the microwave and swears that they’re the next best thing to a Zac Efron movie.
ITALIAN-STYLE SMOKED SAUSAGE SANDWICH
- 2 Italian Rolls; Split
- 2 Hillshire Farm Hot & Spicy Italian Style Smoked Sausages
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup grape tomatoes; halved
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella balls (ciliegine-sized); quartered
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red onion; minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil; chiffonade
- Kosher salt
- While grilling Hillshire Farm Hot & Spicy Italian Style Smoked Sausages, baste with balsamic vinegar.
- In a small sauté pan heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add tomatoes and cook until soft, approximately 3-5 minutes. Season to taste with kosher salt and remove from heat.
- In a small bowl combine tomatoes, mozzarella, red onion and basil.
- Place one grilled sausage in Italian roll and generously top with tomato-mozzarella mixture.
The next time you’re rounding up food for your grill, grab a couple of different varieties of Hillshire Farm Sausages – just be sure the Hot & Spicky Italian Style Smoked Sausages are one of them. You’ll also want to keep these sausages in mind this fall when tailgating rolls back onto the scene!