oI was sent a bottle of Kelapo Virgin Coconut Oil to review on the food blog and I can’t even begin to tell you how much fun I’m having coming up with new ways to use it. Coconut is one of my absolute favorite flavors, as well as scents – the smell of coconut alone sends me to far away, exotic places.
Below are my favorite uses for my beloved Kelapo Virgin Olive Oil:
- In smoothies (I’ll add a few recipes today)
- On toast – just replace butter for a wonderful flavor. Add a little blackberry jam for extra flavor.
- On popcorn, instead of butter. Trust me.. it’s fantastic.
- If you use coconut oil to “grease” your cookie sheet, cake pan, or cupcake tins, you’ll add a little coconut flavor – which for a coconut fanatic like me, is a beautiful thing. Coconut cake would get an extra boost by greasing the pans with coconut oil.
- In recipes calling for butter, use coconut oil instead.
- Use a silicone brush to brush the coconut oil onto a panini press before making the panini. The extra flavor is wonderful.
- Asparagus, broccoli, snap peas, red pepper strips, squash, and just about any vegetable you can think of is extra delicious when sautéed in coconut oil. If you (for reasons that completely escape me) wanted less of the coconut flavor, simply heat the oil longer.
Benefits of Coconut Oil:
Virgin coconut oil is comprised of medium chain triglycerides, or MCTs, that you could say are the proprietary secrets of plant based saturated fats. The most recognizable of all the MCTs is lauric acid. Besides virgin coconut oil, lauric acid is found in breast milk. Rich in antioxidants, lauric acid and other MCTs, coconut oil helps the body absorb important nutrients and minerals, eliminate harmful bacteria, and fight the signs of aging.
Professional athletes have long been using coconut oil as fuel to build lean muscle. Additionally, adding coconut oil to a smoothie, can increase your feeling of fullness and stabilize blood sugar for longer periods of time. Some people have even reported the ability to burn more fat and achieve greater weight loss after the use of virgin coconut oil.
Mediterranean diets receive lots of attention but the people of the Mediterranean are not the only ones with a healthy diet. In tropical countries where coconut oil has been consumed daily for hundreds of years, there are fewer cases of obesity, heart disease, cancer, and other illnesses, than reported in the US.
Lastly, scientific research is further looking into the connection between virgin coconut oil and brain function. Over time, glucose inhibitors can limit the amount of energy to the brain, causing a decrease in cognitive function. Consuming regular amounts of coconut oil however, can lead to ketone production, where ketones take over when glucose is not present, and help restore brain activity.
100% organic and all-natural, Kelapo™ Virgin Coconut Oil, should be enjoyed as a delicious part of a healthy lifestyle. – From Kelapo’s Website
A delicious, fast, and impressive-looking snack using Kelapo Virgin Coconut Oil: Wash plum, beautiful strawberries, leaving their green caps on. Dip the bottoms (about halfway up) into Kelapo Virgin Coconut Oil, then roll in one of the following:
- shredded coconut
- toasted shredded coconut
- granulated sugar
- Truvia or Stevia
Delicious! You don’t get an oil-y taste WHATSOEVER, only wonderful coconut flavor.
EDIT: You can now find Kelapo Virgin Coconut Oil on Amazon!