You have to respect that!
One of my favorite ways to eat popcorn is with M&Ms. Crazy good. When you toss them onto your warm popcorn, they begin to melt and, trust the resident chocoholic on this one, that’s where the magic lives.
Popcorn Trivia… Fast Facts
- Native American tribes not only enjoyed popcorn, they got creative – flavoring their popcorn with dried herbs and spices.
- Sugar shortages during WWII made candy a very rare treat. This helped popcorn consumption to soar to three times its pre-war sales.
- Popcorn is made up of both yellow and white kernels but only about 1 in 10 kernels are white.
- Christopher Columbus allegedly introduced popcorn to the Europeans in the late 15th century.
- Popcorn was designated as the Official State Snack Food of Illinois in 2004.
- The unpopped kernels at the bottom of our bowl are called “old maids”.
- Popcorn is high in fiber and contains no sugar (and then I go and throw in my M&Ms… that’s so me).
- Orville Redenbacher was born on a farm in Brazil, Indiana in 1907. At 12 years old, he began to grow his own popping corn (little could he know where this would lead!). Growing popping corn becomes Orville’s passion and leads him into the popping corn business which allows him to save enough money for college.
Below are the interesting results from a Popcorn survey done by National Today. At the bottom are a few popcorn recipes I’ve rounded up for you. However you enjoy your popcorn, I hope you’ll have a beautiful bowl of it today. After all, how are you going to celebrate National Popcorn Day without the star of the show??
NationalToday.com Popcorn Day Survey
To conduct the NationalToday.com Popcorn Day Survey, the National Today data science team surveyed 1,000 Americans about their popcorn preferences. Here are the full results:
DO YOU LIKE POPCORN?
* YES: 92%
* NO: 8%
TOP 10 MOST POPULAR POPCORN FLAVORS
#1: Classic butter and salt (73% love it)
#2: Cheese (37%)
#3: Caramel (32%)
#4: Garlic salt (15%)
#5: Chocolate (14%)
#6: Plain (13%)
#7: Cinnamon and sugar (11%)
#8: Truffle butter (8%)
#9: Hot sauce (7%)
#10: Jalapeño (5%)
TOP 5 OCCASIONS TO EAT POPCORN
#1: At the movie theater (63%)
#2: When watching TV or movies (62%)
#3: Late night snack (30%)
#4: As an easy snack for when I get home (22%)
#5: At the office as a light snack (13%)
TOP 3 FAVORITE POPCORN BRANDS
#1: Orville Redenbacher (53%)
#2: Pop Secret (42%)
#3: Act II (34%)