One of my favorite human beings, let alone Presidents was President Ronald Reagan. He was one of a kind and I’m not sure there’ll ever be another like him. The country fell in love with him and for good reason. His charm, personality, and sense of humor made him a force to be reckoned with and they made him always appear to be larger than life.
The recipe below is reportedly a favorite of this great American and would be perfect for a President’s Day supper – or any day for that matter… it sounds delicious!
Ronald Regan’s Macaroni & Cheese Recipe
Serves 4 as an entrée, or 6 to 8 as a side dish
1/2 pound macaroni
1 tablespoon butter
1 egg beaten
3 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup warm milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Pinch of paprika
From White House Cookbook, Revised and Updated Centennial Edition by H. Haller and V. Aronson
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Add macaroni to 2 quarts of boiling salted water and cook for 10 minutes.
- Drain well in a colander. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Stir in butter and beaten egg. Add 2-1/2 cups of the grated cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine milk with salt, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
- Spoon macaroni and cheese into the prepared casserole. Pour milk mixture over and sprinkle top with the remaining cheese.
- Sprinkle with paprika. Bake on middle shelf of preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until macaroni is firm to the touch and the top is crusty and browned.
- Serve at once, either as a light entree accompanied by a hot green vegetable and a crisp salad, or as a side dish with Hamburgers or Meat Loaf.