With a thousand and one apologies to “summer lovers,” this is MY TIME OF YEAR! Autumn and Winter have always been extra special to me (even when it meant back-to-school… I forgave these magical seasons for that injustice). Naturally, I love to make our home come alive with each season, but when it comes to Autumn and Winter… well, let’s just say the seasons are embraced in every single room.
The colors, the smells, and the comfy vibes of Autumn? You just can’t beat it, can you?
The infographic, below, includes some wonderful ideas for embracing the season in every room of your house. Since we’re a food blog, we’ll pay special attention to decorating the kitchen and dining room for Fall.
(Continued Below the gorgeous infographic…)
Infographic Credit: Fall Decorating Ideas
A couple of personal tips and ideas:
- When decorating tabletops or wreaths, please use fake acorns as opposed to taking those you find on the ground. Animals are counting on this type of food source to make it through the winter. If everyone were to start rounding these up, that’s going to take a lot of food out of innocent animals mouths.
- If you need more space for seasonal decorations, securely and safely box up the decorations that are currently in their way! I have pigs and other farm animals all over my kitchen (decorations, not real ones – my cats wouldn’t approve). These guys always “sleep” through fall and winter in a comfy box in a closet as they make way for ghosts, bears dressed for trick or treating, pumpkins, snowmen, reindeer, Santas, etc. Just be sure to remember where the regulars are napping!
- Autumn tablecloths, runners,and napkins are especially gorgeous – especially in the dining room, where your table can remain “set” throughout the season.
- Strings of lights make the top of hutches, flower centerpieces, or cabinets uncommonly festive and beautiful. There is an ingenious strand of lights on Amazon that is dimmable and can be controlled by a remote control. Click here to check it out. There are many colors available – each season is represented. Be still, my heart.
- While candles are gloriously associated with fall and winter, many people can’t use them (either they or a beloved pet may have a lung disease or there may be young children or pets around – candles are very dangerous with little ones around, whether they have fur or skin!). If this is the case for you, the above-mentioned strands of lights may be just the thing to add festive light. There are also lots of flameless candles, too, of course.
- I add a few autumn dishes to my collection each year. Using autumn plates, bowls, mugs, etc during the months of fall just makes the season even sweeter. Of course, we do the same with other seasons, as well.
- Here’s a tip for any time of year: If there is a season you aren’t that crazy about, for whatever reason(s), try embracing it. Decorate your home, inside and outside, and you’ll soon see the beauty of that particular season. Go all out! Bring the colors, scents, and energies of each season into your world – it’s all part of living out loud… which is, of course, the only way to live!