Soups and salads. Salads and soups. Two of my most delicious obsessions in the entire world. Along with catfish, strawberry sundaes, coffee, and raspberry tea, soups and salads are never far from my mind or reach. While I eat more salads in warmer weather than in the cooler months, soup is a year-round thing with me.
The things I love about salads and soups are:
- They’re delicious.
- They’re photogenic (I ain’t going to lie, we food bloggers dig that).
- The options and possible combinations are, literally, endless.
- With planning, soups or salads can accompany a meal or they can be the meal.
- You can tweak this and pinch that to achieve your own personal vibe. If peppers are your favorite vegetable, simply add more. If (like my husband and two of our three daughters) you live for garlic, add an unseemly and obscene amount!
- Most soups and salads are inherently gluten-free (especially if you make them yourself and read labels).
- Soups can be assembled in the morning and cooked in the slow-cooker all day. The smell fills the home and your family simply has to dish the deliciousness into their bowls when they’re ready.
- They can be very inexpensive to make. Love that.
- Soups and salads can be as healthy as you want them to be. This is probably my favorite thing about them. I mean, what better way to “up” your veggie count for the day than throwing them all together and making something fantastic while you’re at it?!
The infographic below is from Pounds to Pockets and gives you a beautiful and very helpful guide to 9 favorite soups. Enjoy!
See Also: For one of my favorite soups see my Loaded Baked Potato Soup in the Crock-Pot recipe.