Just be sure to grab yourself one while you’re at it.
I love everything about this cookbook. The recipes are just the sort of recipes you’d expect with the names you see on the cover and the same can be said of the “spirit” of the cookbook. When you see the characters on the cover and see them in action on The Chew, you know they march to the beat of their own wooden spoons and that makes for pure entertainment.
It also makes for a must have cookbook – whether you watch the show or not.
The hosts bring their positive energy to every page of this cookbook – as well as their expertise in the kitchen.
Some of My Fave Recipes from this Cookbook Are:
- French Onion Soup – Clinton Kelly
- “Blow Your Mind” Baked Chicken Wings – Daphne Oz
- Omelette in a Jar (made in the microwave!) – Carla Hall
- Slow-Roasted Salmon with Avocado Salad – Michael Symon
- Oven-Roasted BLT with Tangy Mayo – Michael Symon
- Hush Puppies (with Dipping Sauce) – Carla Hall
- Basic Tomato Sauce – Mario Batali
- Classic Basic Pesto – Mario Batali
- Hash Brown Frittata – Clinton Kelly
- Grilled Cheese Espanol – Mario Batali
- Whipped Pina Colada Dip – Daphne Oz
- Clinton’s General Tso’s Chicken – Clinton Kelly
- Spicy Queso Dip – Clinton Kelly
- Dad’s Death by Chocolate – Michael Symon
- Dynamite Disco Fries – Carla Hall
- Popcorn Shrimp – Daphne Oz
- Mario’s Spicy Dollar-Saving Pasta – Mario Batali
- Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Brussels Sprouts and Brown Butter – Michael Symon
- Banana Dippers – Daphne Oz
- Chicken Potpie with Cheddar-Chive Biscuits – Carla Hall
As you can see and even expect from most cookbooks, the majority of the recipes aren’t “gluten free,” however thanks be to God we live in a time where gluten free all purpose flour and gluten free bread exist – meaning that any recipe you see in a cookbook can be made gluten free.
Mario Batli’s DELICIOUS SOUNDING Spicy Dollar-Saving Pasta is simple to gluten free-ize – simply substitute gluten free pasta and use gluten free panko bread crumbs for the bread-crumb topping. Get a load of the ingredients in this dish – yellow onion, pasta, garlic cloves, scallions, Italian sausage, tomato paste, jalapenos, and a panko bread crumb topping.
I don’t know about you, but this recipe, is making my mouth water. So much so, in fact, I’m going to make it one night this week.
Of course, there are recipes that are already gluten free – such as Daphne Oz’s Banana Dippers and Popcorn Shrimp (which uses rice flour), Carla Hall’s Disco Fries, and Clinton Kelly’s General Tso’s Chicken (just be sure to substitute Tamari for the soy sauce).
Michael Symon’s Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Brussels Sprouts and Brown Butter uses a combo of almond flour and all-purpose flour (simply sub gluten free all-purpose flour for the all purpose flour) is at the top of my “make soon” list.
Review Continued Below….
From the Back Cover:
Everything You Love About The Chew Captured in One Book!
In The Chew: An Essential Guide to Cooking and Entertaining (Amazon link), the five hosts of the hit ABC daytime show invite you to enjoy the fun and flavor of cooking without the hassle and expense. Mario Batali, Carla Hall, Clinton Kelly, Daphne Oz, and Michael Symon provide mouthwatering recipes and useful entertaining tips to make cooking for your family and friends simple, cost-effective, delicious, and fun. In this fourth cookbook from The Chew, the hosts bring their wit, wisdom, and practicality straight into your home.
In Back to Basics, learn how Daphne Oz prepares her Easy Oven Roasted Turkey Breast that is both delicious and a time-saver. Clinton Kelly’s Eggs Benedict recipe is a Comfort Classic that will make Sunday Brunch the best part of your weekend. Michael Symon’s Pizza Rolls are guaranteed to become one of your Feel-Good Family Favorites. In Old Faves, New Flaves, Carla Hall offers up her Cheesy Pull-Apart Pesto Bread, putting an exciting twist on garlic rolls. And Mario Batali’s Meat Loaf with Creamy Shells ‘n’ Peas is the definitive guilty pleasure.
And There’s More:
- Answers to viewer questions that give you added details and insights from The Chew hosts.
- Delicious favorites handed down from the hosts’ families to yours.
- Mouthwatering meals that can be made ahead of time or in a slow cooker.
- Several innovative ways to put a new spin on a favorite recipe.
- A wide range of recipes from breakfast to dessert, from the lighter side to guilty pleasures, and everything in between.
Review continued below…
I can’t say enough about the GREAT recipes in this book – they really are exceptional. I also love all the fun pictures from the show and behind the scenes. This fun group seems to really love each others company and it shows. There’s just a wonderful vibe about the entire book and it, along with fantastic recipes, makes it one of my favorite cookbooks, period.
What is it about cookbooks Michael Symon is tied to? They’re always among the best. Golden touch, much?
I cannot think of anyone this cookbook wouldn’t be ideal for – new cooks, veteran cooks, moms, dads, college kids, bachelors, bachelorettes, new brides, new grooms… as long as the individual enjoys positive energy and great food, The Chew: An Essential Guide to Cooking and Entertaining (Amazon link) is a book they’re going to love.