Salmon Patties with Red Bell Pepper and Green Onion
Few foods in this world make me as giddy as salmon patties (or salmon burgers, if you prefer). Seriously, if I know I’ll be making them for dinner, it casts a glow over my entire day. They’re delicious, sit easily on your stomach, and go with a wide variety of sides.
While I often change up the ingredients, the basic principle and technique is the same. Because I have to eat gluten-free, I use gluten-free dried breadcrumbs or panko. If you don’t have to eat gluten-free, use the breadcrumbs of your choice. Kroger has their own wonderful brand of gluten-free breadcrumbs – they even have a gluten-free Italian blend that’s outstanding for meatballs!
Some of my favorite options to add to my salmon patties:
- green onion
- red bell pepper
- diced celery
- sweet onion
- green bell pepper
- chopped sage
Choosing a combination of any of the above is outrageously good, but my personal favorite combinations are (1) diced celery and shallots and (2) red bell pepper and green onion.
The recipe below calls for red bell pepper and green onion, but (obviously) use whatever you prefer or whatever you have on hand.
BEST Salmon Patties Recipe
- 1 can (14-3/4 oz) salmon
- 2 TBS freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp yellow mustard (or Dijon)
- 1/2 tsp whole grain mustard
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion or sweet onion
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 egg whites
- Drain the salmon and break up the bones with the back of a fork, "flaking" the salmon in the process.
- Combine the first 8 ingredients, then mix in the egg whites until well blended.
- Form mixture into patties and fry in a combination of olive oil and butter. You can, of course, just use olive oil, but butter brings a lot of extra flavor to the party - just be sure it doesn't overheat and cause too much browning.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides and serve with lemon wedges and, if desired, your favorite tartar sauce. A lot of people like a smear of may on top of their salmon patties - it's actually delicious!